Sometimes when you move out of home or to a new city or town it can be difficult to meet new people and to socialise. It is important to keep a balance in your life between work / study and socialising. This balance will make it much easier to adapt and enjoy your new independent lifestyle. There are plenty of different ways that we can socialise. Below are some examples of how to get involved!

Select from the following links on this page:-


When you think of sport you think of netball, football, basketball, cricket, tennis, soccer… However there are heaps of other sports you can play, don’t be afraid to give them a go! Sport is a great way to keep fit, meet new people and socialise.

Contact your local Council for sporting clubs in your Council area, or check the Yellow and White Pages under the particular sport you may be interested in or under local sporting bodies. Check your Uni/TAFE for any sporting teams they may have.

The South Australian Aboriginal Sport and Recreation Association Inc promotes the benefit of participation in sports and recreation activities through conducting statewide sporting events for Aboriginal people and sporting teams. Phone 8232 1777

Recreation Link-up provides support and advice to assist people with disabilities in accessing recreational activities in their local area. hone 8200 2508 or visit YMCA


unstructured Sport

If you’re not into structured or competitive sports, there are still plenty of recreational activities you can do… skating, surfing, swimming, bike riding, yoga, tennis, golf, working out, skiing etc

Contact your local Council to see what facilities are in your area or check the Yellow Pages for listed facilities. Unis and TAFE often have great facilities that you may be able to use.

These unstructured sports are an excellent way to hang out with friends and do some exercise at a time that suits you.

Why not get a team together with some mates and enter a social sport competition, these are often played mid-week, so it won't even muck up your weekend!

Umpiring is a great way to keep fit and make some extra money, ask at sporting clubs near you.

Back to top


There are cinema complexes located in most larger cities, whilst in smaller rural areas local halls may screen films every few months.

Check local papers for movie dates and times or call the cinema for details.

If you are a student you may be entitled to a concession when you show your student card.

Some cinemas will have cheap days allocated each week, check newspapers for information.

Back to top

Pubs and Clubs

If you’re over 18 and want to hang out with your mates in pubs or clubs, check the Yellow Pages for venues near you. Ask friends or workmates for places they recommend or check gig guides (available from music stores, unis, surf shops etc.) for band or entertainment venues.

For live music and events check gig guides, uni and shop notice boards and local papers. Some venues will be for over 18’s, whilst other events may be open to all ages.

You may need to provide proof of age to buy alcohol or enter a licensed venue. It is an offence to provide false information such as false ID’s.

Make sure you allow enough money at the end of the night if you are planning to catch a taxi, or organise a designated driver to get you home safely.

Back to top


Art Groups and Classes

If art and craft is your thing ask at relevant art and craft shops, such as Spotlight, Lincraft or even smaller private stores, for any groups or classes which they may be delivering or are aware of.

Check notice boards at Unis, TAFE or shops, or check online, for any particular classes or groups that you may be interested in. Have a look in the Yellow Pages for any relevant art groups or classes which may suit you.

Arts Access SA provides opportunities for people with a disability to extend their artistic creativity at both recreationl and professional levels. Phone 8224 0799

No Strings Attached Theatre of Disability involves people with a disability in various aspects of performance, production and administration. Phone 8363 5970

Back to top



If you are a keen musician, being a part of a band can be a great way to socialise and perhaps even earn some extra cash.

Check local papers or notice boards for bands advertising for members.
For lessons, check under ‘music and musical instruments’ in the Yellow pages.

Back to top


Youth Advisory Committees (YACs) and Youth Groups

If you’re aged between 12 and 25 and are interested in being involved in your community and having a voice about things that matter to you, check with your local Council for details of your closest YAC.

If you are interested in becoming involved in a Youth Group, see your local Churches regarding any programs they may offer.

Youth Groups and YACs often have access to funding and grants, so if there is something that you want to see happen in your community, get involved!

Meet new people, try new things and enjoy the next stage of
your life…GET OUT THERE!

Back to top


Questions and Feedback

Lower Eyre Health Services
Tel 08 8688 2629 or email