Updated July 30, 2009

Select from the following links:-

Different types of housing

  1. Share Accommodation / Private Rentals
  2. On Campus Accommodation, University Residences & University Colleges
  3. Boarding
  4. Temporary and Emergency Accommodation

1. Share Accommodation / Private Rentals

Most share housing is in the private rental market where the houses are owned by individual property owners and leased to tenants. The private rental market provides a range of housing options including: houses, flats, units, townhouses, granny flats and studio flats.

Share accommodation is generally the most economical, flexible and popular form of housing for young people. It is a great way to develop some independent living skills whilst saving money on rent and bills.

Moving into an existing share household can be less costly at first, but you may prefer to organise a group to start up a new shared residence. Establishing a share house can be pretty expensive initially with the immediate costs being bond (usually 4 weeks rent), 2 weeks rent in advance, and possibly a share of the electricity, gas and phone connection.

Tenancy (lease) arrangements may differ from household to household and it’s worth asking what arrangements are in place before you move into an established home.

If you don’t have specific people to move in with, check in local newspapers for people requiring housemates, or have a look on notice boards in community centres, education and training institutes, cafes and shops, in the area you want to live. The Internet now provides a number of websites advertising for flatmates such as Domain

Trace-a-Place is an Adelaide organisation, which is able to find you a suitable place to share. Phone (08) 8212 7799 or 1800 807 364 for more information.

Aboriginal Housing Office provides housing for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, ensures equal access to and opportunity for adequate housing and information regarding accommodation options - public and private rental. Phone 8235 4333 for more information.

Disability SA - provides accommodation and accommodation support for people with intellectual disability. Phone 8266 8511 or visit Disability SA

The Independent Living Centre provides equipment, home modifications and adult therapy services for people with disabilities as well as information for the general community. Phone 1300 885 886 or visit Independent Living Centre


Where To Start Looking For Rental Properties

Check in the ‘To Let’ and ‘Share Accommodation’ section of The Advertiser for daily rental property listings. Wednesday and Saturday are the best days to check.

Search these websites for online rental property listings throughout Australia.
Real Estate

Check the Yellow Pages for Real Estate Agents in the area you might like to live. They will have a listing of private rental properties available.

Accommodation finding services find you suitable accommodation for a fee. Look under ‘accommodation’ in the Yellow Pages.

Service to Youth Council (SYC) provides information, options, and referrals to services that are suitable to your needs. They are a ‘one stop shop’ for housing support in Adelaide. Visit SYC or Phone (08) 8211 8466 or (08) 8212 7799

Housing SA can help people with high needs and who require support to access and maintain housing. Visit Housing SA or Phone 13 12 99. Housing SA also offers cheaper housing for some students. For further information visit Student Housing or Phone (08) 8207 0664

Try not to leave finding a rental proprty to the last minute as it is a very competitive market and may take you longer than expected.


Important Things To Consider When Choosing Accommodation

  • How much is the rent and bond?
  • Is the house/flat close to public transport, work, Uni / TAFE, shops, friends?
  • Is it a quiet or noisy location? Is it on a busy road, near a noisy factory, school, railway lines or under an airport flight path? If so, can you live with the noise?
  • Safety factors of the neighbourhood/building.

Securing A Rental Property

Once you have found a property you are interested in renting you will need to secure a time to have a look at the property with the landlord, or the Real Estate Agent acting on the landlord’s behalf.

When inspecting accommodation, consider the following questions:

  • Do I have to pay for water?
  • How long is the lease period? Is this negotiable?
  • Do I have to pay rent in advance?
  • Are there working smoke alarms and adequate security (ie locks on the windows and doors?)
  • Is there adequate parking? Is there a garage?
  • Are repairs needed? If so, will the landlord carry out the required repairs?
  • What is the general condition of the house?
  • Do the oven / stove elements / shower / toilet work?
  • Can you keep pets in the house?
  • Who needs to maintain the garden?
  • Is there a phone or internet connection?

If you like the property and it suits your needs, indicate to the landlord/real estate agent that you would like to rent it. You may then be required to submit an application form. If your application is successful, it is a good idea to get all the tenants together and do a thorough inspection of the property before moving in.

You will need to read and sign the rental lease (tenancy). A free booklet called ‘The Residential Tenancies Act Explained’ is available from the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs or Phone (08) 8204 9544. This will assist you with the legal aspects of renting.

Keep a written copy of your inspection (condition report). The more detailed you make the report the easier it will beto make sure you leave the place in the same condition when you move out.

It is a good idea to take photos of any damage already there when you moved in as this may assist you in getting your bond back.

Keys To Successful Shared Accommodation

Take time when choosing who to live with and remember, compatibility and communication are the keys to a successful share situation.

Ask questions such as:

  • "Can this person be relied upon to pay their way?”
  • “Will they do their fair share of the housework?”
  • “Will I be able to study, play my music, have dinner parties, relax etc?”
  • “Can I tolerate their music, friends and interests?”

If you are moving in with someone you don't know:

  • Make sure that you meet with them first and don’t rush into anything.
  • Take a friend or family member with you to get a second opinion.
  • Set the ground rules early. The main issues to work out first are the payment of rent, food and kitty arrangements, storage space, household chores and bills.
  • Electricity, gas and water bills are generally divided equally between tenants. The telephone bill may also be shared evenly or each tenant may pay for only their own calls. It is a good idea to keep a book next to the phone and tally local calls as you make them and note down the details of any STD calls, ISD calls and calls to mobiles.
  • Food, cooking and cleaning arrangements will vary from house to house.

For ideas on how to handle legal stuff as well as deal with problems common in share houses check out the Share Housing Survival Guide.

Other useful websites are:

The Consumer Youth Website
Youth Central

Child and Youth Health

If you are an Indigenous Australian looking to buy property, visit Indigenous Business Australia. IBA Homes provides affordable home loans to eligible Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.

Phone 1800 107 107 or email homes@iba.gov.au

Moving From Share Accommodation

There may be a time when you need to move out of youre share houw situation. Whatever the reason, you will need to make sure that you follow some important steps:

  • Begin planning your move. Decide whether you will use a removalist or do it yourself
  • Set the date for your move and let your housemates know
  • Draw up a list of people, companies and services that will need to be notified about your change of address
  • If you are the only one moving out and your name is on the Tenancy Lease, contact your landlord / real estate agent to have this removed. If your name is on the lease you are legally liable for rent until your name is removed
  • If your name is not on the lease, you have to give 21 days written notice to your head tenant if you want to leave
  • Clear out your junk: why not get rid of everything you haven't used or worn in the last year
  • Collect packing boxes and materials from supermarkets and discount stores if you are moving yourself or organise to buy or hire packing cartons from a removalist
  • Complete redirection instructions at the post office to ensure your mail is redirected to your new address. It may take a few months for some senders to get their mailing lists updated so be sure to allow for this when considering how long you will need this service
  • Arrange accommodation if there is going to be a short gap between moving out of your old home and moving into the new one
  • Contact services including electricity, phone and gas companies to arrange for final readings, bills and to have your name removed from any accounts. If you don't, you could be held responsible for any bills that come in after you leave and may have difficulty getting services connected later if your flatmates leave any unpaid accounts
  • Read the Tenancy Agreement and make sure everything is covered ie steam cleaning carpets
  • If you are all moving out, upon vacating the property, providing all is in order, you will need to submit a claim form so that you can have the bond paid back to you. If all or part of the bond has been paid to the landlord (eg for cleaning or repairs), and you are agreeable to the amount deducted, you should sign the form claiming repayment accordingly. Return the form to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal
  • Return all keys to your housemates or real esate agent
  • If you are in a fixed term agreement, generally you're stuck there unless you can get someone to take on the lease, or are prepared to pay the costs for breaking the agreement early

2. On Campus Accommodation, University Residences & University Colleges

Generally this type of accommodation includes a single furnished bedroom or shared unit (with single bedrooms), access to computers and the internet, shared toilets, showers, laundry and kitchen facilities. Many of these premises are supervised and provide meals on weekdays.

Below are a number of different colleges in Adelaide that aim their services at rural based students:

Residential Colleges

  • Aquinas College (08) 8334 5000
  • Lincoln College (08) 8290 6000
  • St Anne’s College (08) 8267 1478
  • St Marks College (08) 8334 5600
  • Kathleen Lumley College - postgraduate only (08) 8267 3270

Adelaide University Housing, North Adelaide (08) 8303 5220

  • CITI Townhouse Accommodation (08) 8303 5220
  • University of Adelaide Village (08) 8463 2000
  • Mattanya (08) 8303 5220
  • Roseworthy Residential College (08) 8303 7888

Flinders University, Bedford Park (08) 8291 6000

  • Deidre Jordan Village (self-catered)
  • University Hall (catered)

University of South Australia, (08) 8302 2340 or (08) 8302 0877


Living on Campus or in University Residences or Colleges is a great way to meet new people and socialise if you are a country student living in the city for the first time.

3. Boarding

Boarding Houses can be a small home with only a few people living there or they can be huge houses, sometimes with many levels. Generally everyone has their own fully furnished room and living areas are communal.

Boarding arrangements can vary widely from one situation to another. Young people and hosts negotiate various rules and conditions, prices, access to facilities and number of meals that will be prepared. Make sure you check out what is provided, the room and the cost. The landlord should give you a copy of any House Rules that may apply.

Check the Yellow Pages, University Student Accommodation, newspapers and notice boards for any boarding vacancies.


4. Temporary & Emergency Accommodation

Temporary Accommodation
Sometimes it may take time to find accommodation that suits your needs. There is no need to rush into choosing long-term accommodation. If you are attending University in Adelaide, they should be able to assist you in finding temporary accommodation.

  • Adelaide University (08) 8303 5220
  • Flinders University (08) 8291 6000
  • University of SA (08) 8302 0614

Aboriginal Hostels Limited provide temporary accommodation services to Aborginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The hostels offer comfortable, homey environments with most of the staff being Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people. Email: ahlmarketing@ahl.gov.au or Phone (02) 6212 2001

Emergency Accommodation

There are services available for young people that offer emergency accommodation and short to medium term solutions for accommodation crises.

Contact these agencies for emergency accommodation in your area:

  • SYC - Adelaide 1300 306 046 or 1800 807 364
  • West Coast Youth Services – Port Lincoln (08) 8683 0072
  • Centacare Youth Services - Whyalla (08) 8645 3655


Back to top


Next - Getting Connected - Telephone, Electricity, Gas, Water


Questions and Feedback

Lower Eyre Health Services
Tel 08 8688 2629 or email ask@gettingout.info