Further Education refers to any study you do once you’ve left secondary school either at University, TAFE or any other Registered Training Organisation. Entry into Universities and many TAFE courses is through the SA Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC). All courses will involve some form of payment. Universities can work under the Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS), whilst TAFE is generally upfront fees. Check your institution for payment requirements and options.

Use the following hyperlinks for information on the following:-


SATAC publishes a directory of higher education courses every year. Information is divided into 2 publications, Uni and TAFE. The 2 publications list courses from certificate to post graduate courses offered by TAFE institutions and South Australian Universities. SATAC guides are available from August at your school (free of charge) or can be purchased at newsagents for a small cost.

All year 12 students who apply for courses through SATAC will receive a TER (Tertiary Entrance Rank) that is calculated and sent to you late in December as part of Year 12 results. Most school leavers are offered positions in courses in the second round (mid January) and a few in the final round (early February). Some courses require more than a TER, for example an interview, audition, portfolio or pre-test.

Year 12 students now have the option of applying online through Uniweb or TAFEweb, over the phone or by using the application form. Important dates for University and TAFE admissions can be found at the SATAC website and in the Guide. If you are applying for a course not included in the SATAC guide, you need to apply direct to the relevant institution and enquire about their closing dates. Information about applying interstate is also provided on the SATAC website.

Website: SATAC Phone:1300 138 440

  • Submit a SATAC application even if you’re not sure. You can always decline the offer or defer. If you decide to apply after the first closing date you will be hit with a late fee.
  • People applying for Uni or TAFE should always apply for a few different courses as well as applying for them at different locations, just in case you’re not successful with getting into your first preference.
  • There are many ways other than applying with your TER score to get you into University. Some TAFE courses and other Training providers are recognised by Universities and can assist you in getting into a University course.


Back to top


Next - Good Universities Guide & Universities in South Australia


Questions and Feedback

Lower Eyre Health Services
Tel 08 8688 2629 or email ask@gettingout.info